Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bondo Returns

Photo: Leon Halip (Getty Images)

Short post today, as I have to go to work soon and I have not seen a lot of this game. From what I can tell, Jeremy Bonderman gave an impressive performance. He had one inning which ran his pitch count too high to give him a shot at six, but he did get the win. And the bullpen performed admirably on a day they were short-handed. Meanwhile, the offense performed the opposite of how they had been. This time, they scored some runs off the starter and didn’t do anything against the bullpen (except walk). I managed to sneak off for a few minutes and listen to part of the bottom of the third. I heard them call Brandon Inge’s RBI single and Alex Avila’s walk. I didn’t know that that would be the last hit for the Tigers. Still, it was enough to win.

Today wraps up this series against the Indians, and the Tigers will see Jake Westbrook for the first time since 2007 (at least, I don’t recall them meeting up against him in 2008). Westbrook’s coming back from Tommy John surgery, and his numbers during his career against the Tigers aren’t all that great (though I remember his very last start against Detroit he shut them out in an epic pitching duel between him and Nate Robertson). The other thing I remember about him is Rod Allen saying that he gets a lot of ground balls back to himself. Justin Verlander has actually put up the least impressive performance through one turn of the starting rotation, and I can’t imagine that sits well with his competitive nature. The Indians were a team that really gave him problems until last year, when he downright dominated them. Again, I’ll be at work during the game today, although there is a tiny chance I’ll be able to leave at 2:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment