Friday, December 4, 2009

Adios, Placido Polanco

We all knew it was coming, but yesterday officially marked the end of the Placido Polanco era in Detroit (Yes, I know four-and-a-half years is kind of short to be considered an “era,” but it’s the same amount of time as Pudge was with the Tigers and I frequently refer to his time in Detroit as “the Pudge era,” so I’m applying it to Polanco). Our old second baseman is moving across the diamond and becoming the Phillies’ third baseman for the next three years (And I’m not a real big fan of the Phillies, but it’s definitely better than having him with the Red Sox or with another AL Central team).























Most of what needs to be said has already been said on other blogs which you’ve probably already read. Polanco wasn’t in my top five (which is the only segment I bother to rank), but if I ranked a top ten, he would’ve been sixth or seventh. He was a hell of a #2 hitter and a hell of a defender (the concept of “E4” has been virtually unknown to Tigers fans these past few years). I know Scott Sizemore is probably ready to take over and I know it’s probably the right strategic move, but it’s still sad to see Placido in another uniform. I have lots of good memories of him, most notably that shot of him rounding the bases and leaping for joy after Magglio’s walk-off home run in the 2006 ALCS, all the while wearing that stupid hood. I’ll certainly miss that large cranium of his (and by the way, this is my favorite picture of Polanco that I have, and not just because Pudge is in it; I just love Polanco’s expression in it).






And so, the Tigers Amateur Analysis bids farewell to Placido Polanco, and I hope you readers will enjoy this Photoshop tribute:

No comments:

Post a Comment