Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Maybe...Just Maybe


Photo: AP

I’m not sure what you want to call that one (ugly or strange), but it was a win. Armando Galarraga’s performance could be looked at in either a positive or negative light. He walked six, and that’s not good. Against a better-hitting club, he probably would’ve paid the price for it. However, I don’t know why, but it didn’t feel like he walked six. Maybe it was because he only gave up two hits and one run (and no home runs) in 6 1/3 innings. I do know that I didn’t see quite as many of those ineffective different-looking pitches that have plagued him (maybe some on the walks, but not with the hitters that he got out). By the way, what was up with him only wearing one sleeve in the first inning? Seay and Zumaya both turned in quality outings, although everyone’s holding their breath until we find out what the issue with Zumaya’s thumb was. And Rodney? Well, it was an adventure. Would you expect anything else?

After a couple of late nights, it’s now a late afternoon game today (at least for us in the Eastern time zone). While you can’t say that Justin Verlander was bad his last time out, the Astros made him throw a lot of pitches early and simply wore him out. Hopefully, he can bounce back against Oakland and their underachieving offense (I’m not going to say “bad” offense because with the guys that they have in their lineup, they should be better), and he has good numbers against the A’s in his career. Dallas Braden, yet another lefty, will start for the Athletics. His earned run average is really good, and yet he’s only 5-7. He must not get much run support. At any rate, he tends to alternate good and bad starts against the Tigers, and well, his last start against the Tigers was a bad one, so watch out. By the way, I am not going to do Mood Music today (I have to be at work at 4:00, so this game is gonna kill me with the suspense), and I know that yesterday’s link did not work. There’s something wrong with the upload, and I know the video plays fine, but I’ve tried uploading it to both YouTube and Xanga, but with no success. I’ll try to get it figured out and use it sometime in the future when the occasion presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment