Friday, August 6, 2010

From Hero to Disappointment

I don’t really have a lot to say about this game. I’m not mad or anything. It’s just that I had to go to work after the top of the tenth inning so I really can’t weigh in on the resolution. I do know Max Scherzer was decent. But our guys seem to be in one of those phases where they can’t get away with any bad pitches. Scherzer got done in by two bad pitches, and Weinhardt and Valverde were victimized the same way in what were otherwise solid outings. Offensively, they stranded a lot of runners early but most of their threats came with two outs and there were two instances where they ran into bad luck double plays. Ryan Raburn finally got the clutch knock with a three-run homer with two outs in the ninth, but it was a feat he was unable to duplicate in the eleventh.

And so now hope is fading fast and they are running out of time to turn things around. There’s plenty of fight, but so far it hasn’t translated into wins. The Angels are kind of in the same position, although I don’t know if they have fight or not because I don’t follow them that closely. They just got swept by the Orioles and their record has fallen under .500. However, they will be sending out a very good pitcher tonight in Jered Weaver. It seems like whenever Weaver faces the Tigers he’s either on his game or he gives up a bunch of runs. The Tigers have beaten him a couple times this year, although he hasn’t really gotten beat up on by them. And several of the guys in the lineup (notably Jackson, Peralta, and Cabrera) have good numbers against him. Damon does not have good numbers against him, on the other hand. Meanwhile, it feels like it’s been a month and a half since I’ve seen Justin Verlander pitch. He got a no-decision in his start against the Red Sox. He’s had his fair share of troubles against the Angels, although he’s won his last three starts against them. There are six Angels who hit at least .300 against him. Meanwhile, the Tigers’ lineup was posted unusually early today, and it’s had a bit of a shuffle. Boesch has been moved to second in the lineup (which removes the pressure of having to protect Cabrera somewhat), with Peralta batting fifth and Damon sixth. Your Mood Music for tonight: I had never heard of this song before yesterday, but I heard it on Gameday Audio before the Tigers’ pregame show. Once I figured out what it was, I thought it was fairly appropriate because I’m betting about 90% of you feel this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment