Thursday, June 4, 2009

Too Little? Maybe. Too Late? Definitely.

Another short post today, as I can’t really give you a lot of insight into most of this game. When I got home, it was the eighth inning. At any rate, while I can’t give you a lot of firsthand insight into Armando Galarraga, his line in the boxscore doesn’t look bad. I don’t think he was the problem. Anytime a starting pitcher puts up a quality start and the offense fails to score more than three runs while he’s in the game, I’m not going to lay the blame on him. Galarraga, for the second straight start, pitched well but didn’t get any run support. And therefore, any mistakes he made gets magnified, like the JD Drew home run. Considering how powerful Boston’s offense is, I think he did a good job at holding them to four runs. Now, I did see the replay of the unearned run in which Galarraga was given an error for interference. I’m not going to get into whether or not Nick Green deliberately ran into Galarraga or not, because all things being equal, had Armando not been standing there, Green still would’ve scored and it would’ve been an error on Cabrera instead. But like I said, I don’t think Galarraga was the problem. The problem was partially the offense and partially Zach Miner and Nate Robertson’s inability to keep the Red Sox from scoring more runs. This is one of those games where timing is everything. If the Tigers had put together their five-run rally in the bottom of the seventh instead of the bottom of the eighth, you would not have had Zach Miner and Nate Robertson pitching the eighth. You would’ve had Joel Zumaya. Now, it’s possible that Zumaya could’ve given up six runs as well, but it’s unlikely. Still, the five-run rally was spurred on by three Boston errors, so the offense continues to take advantage of errors (not so much walks, though, as the ninth inning proves).

I’m interested in getting your insight into this query: The Braves released Tom Glavine yesterday. Now, I know he’s coming off an injury and he’s up there in years, but he’s also a 300-game winner, a lefty, and a future Hall-of-Famer who probably wouldn’t cost that much to sign. Is anyone else at least intrigued by the possibility?

Well, now the Tigers have dug themselves a big, big hole in this series, and it’ll take some extraordinary effort to get out of it (Though, as I said, I never really had high hopes for this series in the first place). Dontrelle Willis’s four starts have been wobbly, really good, okay, and then terrible (in that order). It’ll be a monumental task for him to shut the Red Sox down, because they’ll definitely be patient with him. Tim Wakefield gets the start for Boston. That’s kind of a crapshoot, because either the knuckleball will work or it won’t. If it’s not working, the Tigers are gonna hit some balls hard somewhere. If it is working, it’s gonna be a long day, and not in the good sense. Hopefully, the knuckleball is not working and the Tigers can put up a bunch of runs early, because I go to work at four o’clock and spending five hours not knowing the outcome is gonna suck. Speaking of “suck,” that pretty much described the Tigers’ record on Thursdays (1-5). Your Mood Music for this afternoon: Well, Aerosmith is my friend's favorite band, and they're from Boston, so I guess I'll use them. And since it's Dontrelle Willis and Tim Wakefield are starting, there is the potential for a lot of walks in this game, so "Walk This Way" is probably the most fitting song (I used the Aerosmith/Run DMC version because I like that version better than the original).




No comments:

Post a Comment